Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Silver Star Review

16130291 
 The Silver Star 
 By Jeannette Walls
Published 2013 by Scribner
Hardcover 288 pages

Summery
 It is 1970 in a small town in California. “Bean” Holladay is twelve and her sister, Liz, is fifteen when their artistic mother, Charlotte, a woman who “found something wrong with every place she ever lived,” takes off to find herself, leaving her girls enough money to last a month or two. When Bean returns from school one day and sees a police car outside the house, she and Liz decide to take the bus to Virginia, where their Uncle Tinsley lives in the decaying mansion that’s been in Charlotte’s family for generations.

An impetuous optimist, Bean soon discovers who her father was, and hears many stories about why their mother left Virginia in the first place. Because money is tight, Liz and Bean start babysitting and doing office work for Jerry Maddox, foreman of the mill in town—a big man who bullies his workers, his tenants, his children, and his wife. Bean adores her whip-smart older sister—inventor of word games, reader of Edgar Allan Poe, nonconformist. But when school starts in the fall, it’s Bean who easily adjusts and makes friends, and Liz who becomes increasingly withdrawn. And then something happens to Liz.

My thoughts
The Silver Star is one of this months picks for the reading club in my home town. I am a cover shopper and I would not have picked this book on my own. However, I really did enjoy the book.

The story is told in Beans(horrible nickname) view point. You can't help but love her. She speaks her mind, she's loveable and not afraid of anything. She is a good example for those around her. It doesn't matter that she's younger then them all.

I was horrified that the mother left them alone. I kept thinking about all the horrific things that could happen to such young girls. I however can understand the longing to want to escape everything. I just would never put it into action especially, at the expense of my own children.

I know there are a lot of bad things that happen to children out there. I just prefer when I'm reading about them, they be vague. This book does that.

The ending was unexpected and I loved it.
I give this book 3 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment