Saturday, October 12, 2013

Dewey 24 Hour Read-A-Thon

dewey 
It is finally here and I am Excited! Already having issues with my computer. It could also be because it is 5am in the morning. I was planning on having this post pre written last night. I got to busy and here I am blogging while half asleep.
My Goals
  1. 4 books
  2. 1100 pages
  3. Visit 50 blogs during read-a-thon
  4. Read 40 minutes out of every hour
Start up Questions
 1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? 
I live in a small town in Eastern Oregon. Not Quite 2000 people.

 2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? 
World War Z. I have had it in on my TBR list for a while. The movie made me want to start reading it.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?  
Right now food does not sound good. Cereal maybe.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
 This is my second Dewey Read-a-thon. I loved the last one. It was my very first read-a-thon.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? 
I don't know that I would do anything different. Although I might be saying that because I'm not fully awake. I loved everything about the last challenge.

Lets Get Started
Start 5am
I'm reading
764347 Started it a few days ago. I have been to busy to get past page 10.

6am
Pages Read-27
Challenge-Pick a song that would go with your book
7am
Pages Read-70
8am
Pages Read-108 
9am
Pages Read-161
10:39am
Food-Cereal
Pages Read -175
I got my hair done
11:00am
Pages Read-183
Food-Tea and a chicken kabob
Challenge-Choose a paragraph from your book and create a mad lib.
Original Paragraph. Page 27. Unwind by Neal Shusterman

 Risa's head is slammed against the window as the bus suddenly pulls to the right to avoid the two kids. The bus fills with gasps and screams, and Risa is thrown forward, down the aisle, as the bus comes to a sudden stop.


New paragraph
 My 8 year old son helped me

Isaiah's head runs against the runs as the pencil suddenly pulls to the right to avoid the five cars. The person fills with gasps and screams, and Kaitlyn plays forward, down the truck, as the van comes to a sudden stop.

Noon
Pages Read-214
1pm
Pages Read  224
I had an unexpected visitors. I finally had the house to myself and next thing I know I have my aunt and grandma visiting. I lucked out thought, they had to be someplace soon. Otherwise, I would not be reading for a great many hours.
2:00pm
Pages read 272
I did pretty good this last hour. I'm getting a little hungry though. I hope to finish my book the next hour. 
Challenge-Share a book trailer
I chose this trailer for The House of Hades by Rick Riordan. My daughter has been talking about the release of this books since Mark of Athena came out. I still haven't read this series.

3:00pm 
Pages read 315
Challenge Self-Portrait
Not the greatest portrait of me
6:31pm
Pages Read 343

We never get unexpected visitors but, today I had two more people stop by. I will not be making all my goals.
I'm done with Unwind and I am reading

11
Mid-Event Survey
 1) How are you doing? Sleepy? Are your eyes tired?
I don't feel tired. I just have had a lot of unexpected visitors and I haven't gotten to read the last 3 hours .

2) What have you finished reading?
I finished reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman

3) What is your favorite read so far?
Unwind. I'm only 15 pages into Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

4) What about your favorite snacks?
Gummy Sharks

5) Have you found any new blogs through the readathon? If so, give them some love!
I haven't had the time to look. I think I will have to look after the event.

Hour 13 Challenge 
 Best book of your reading year, Best YA book of your reading year, and Best fantasy book of your reading year
12954620  9943270  1656001
Falling Kingdoms is my favorite read this year. I loved it. It made me laugh, cry, and want to through the book across the room. The people in the story were so real. I felt like I knew them.
Dark Triumph is my best YA read. Falling Kingdoms was my first. I liked this book better then the first in the series, which is weird. I loved the main character. You could understand her. This book made you think about how parents actions can greatly influence their children.
The Host is my best fantasy read. I put off reading The Host because I didn't think the twilight book were all that great. I loved this one. I thought it was wonderful and it really made you think.
Best Book of Your Reading Year

Hour 14 Challenge
Audio Dream Date
99383 
Read by
 
Best Book of Your Reading Year
Best Book of Your Reading Year
Best Book of Your Reading Year
I think it would be interesting to have the actor playing the part read the book.
7:00
Pages Read 343
I have been getting caught up in my challenges 
8:00pm
Pages Read  371
I was to tired to read Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. I decided to start
99383

9:00pm
Pages Read 414
I'm tired but, I'm really enjoying Blood Rites.
10:00pm
Pages Read  448
I'm so tired. I think I'll get back to my book.
11:00pm
Pages Read 484 
12:00am
Pages Read 527
I'm really tired. My goal now is to finish Blood Rites. I hope I make it.
1:00am
Pages Read 566 
I'm not as tired but, I notice my desire to participate in challenges has greatly declined. 
2:00am
Pages Read  616
3:00am
Pages Read 649 
4:00am
Pages Read 391
Looks like I will finish my second book.

I hope everyone is having fun and enjoying this RAT.

12 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you have a goal for number of minutes read an hour! Last time I did the read-a-thon, I felt like I spent more time doing challenges and less time reading than I would have liked :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're having a great read-a-thon so far! Go #TeamTiger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the same plan - read 40 minutes of each hour. Visiting blogs is as much fun as reading - almost. :)

    You've passed the first hurdle just being out of bed at 5:00. Good luck with the rest of your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals! I'm not sure I could keep to the 40 minutes read in each hour, I get so distracted! I really enjoyed World War Z, but it is supposed to be way totally different from the movie. It's like a fake nonfiction/memoir of a zombie war. So good though, I haven't seen the movie yet but have read the book. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This my third read-a-thon and I love connecting with everyone :)

    "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." (Annie Dillard)
    So let's spend today reading :)
    Team Tiger

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not keeping my 40 minutes. I think I'm averaging 30 and that's being generous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing awesome! I hope you finish your book this Hour. You're over halfway :)
    #TeamTiger

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Hitchhiker's!
    "Little by little does the trick." (Aesop)
    Or maybe we should say 'hour by hour' :)
    Team Tiger

    ReplyDelete
  9. How's it going, tiger? Keep up the great reading! #TeamTiger

    ReplyDelete